Although vaginal odor is a common occurrence among women, it’s one that can be embarrassing. There may be several reasons for a vaginal odor problem – the menstrual cycle, bacterial infection, improper hygiene or a sexually transmitted disease.
All women have vaginal flora which contains various types of microaerophilic bacteria, one of which is lactobacilli. Lactobacilli fights vaginal infections and to help balance the acidic level in the surrounding tissues of the vagina.
When this area of the vagina is subjected to extreme douching, perfumed soaps and tight clothing there is more of a risk of developing infections. These infections may lead to itching and burning around the vagina and an unpleasant odor.
Food habits which include alcohol, yeast, cheeses and sweets could also be the cause of vaginal odor and that is easily remedied by modifying the diet to include more foods that are high in omega 3 fatty acids. Salmon, tuna, flaxseeds and nuts can boost your immune system and prevent infections which can cause vaginal odor.
When the pH balance of the vaginal flora causes vaginal odor, there are some natural remedies you can try that may restore the balance. One of the best remedies is to consume plain, non-sweet, organic yogurt which is high in lactobacilli. This is a natural approach to restoring the balance of vaginal pH levels which will, in turn, help to control vaginal odor.
Some other natural remedies include:
- Garlic – Adding garlic to your diet plan is both a healthy and effective way to control vaginal odor. It’s a powerful antibiotic that also adds flavor to your food.
- Tea Tree Oil – This herbal remedy for vaginal odor has been used for centuries as an antibacterial and antifungal treatment. Tea tree oil can penetrate the skin to heal infections in the vagina. If purchased in concentrated form, mix a small amount with some water and apply to the vaginal area.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – You can restore the pH balance in the vaginal flora and eliminate toxins by soaking in bath water treated with two cups of apple cider vinegar – a natural antibacterial remedy.
- Neem Bark – You can apply neem bark extract topically to the vagina or take supplements. Neem bark encourages the white blood cells to fight infections with its antibiotic properties.
- Probiotic Supplements – Probiotic supplements such as Femanol can treat vaginal odor by replenishing the vaginal flora’s natural beneficial bacteria. This treatment helps to fight vaginal infections and prevent vaginal odor.
- Water – One of the best and most natural ways to prevent vaginal odor is to drink plenty of water. Water flushes out bacteria and other toxins such as sugar which yeast infections feed on.
A woman’s vaginal odor is constantly changing because of many natural events happening in the body. If a foul vaginal odor persists even after you’ve tried the natural remedies, it may be because of a problem other than those mentioned.
Natural remedies for a vaginal odor lets you cure the problem in privacy and can prevent embarrassment. Choose the one that is best for your condition.